Re: user documentation for d-i

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 03:11:55PM +0100, Alastair McKinstry wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I plan to export over the boot-floppies/documentation and import it into
> the debian-installer/documentation tree, to start the
> user-documentation  task.
>
> (Removing all boot-floppies-only stuff with &FIXME).

Yes, I think very much of the old manual is specific to
boot-floppies, and a rewrite should really focus on the
GUI interface first, with links out-of-the-main-path for
those doing text or ncurses installs.

That's because I think the great majority of people who
use the manual will be using the GUI interface, as long
as it's available to them. They'll be using CD-ROMs, not
floppies. I think we should mainstream the manual for
the majority user, and leave the technical details --
and instructions for the console-based installs and
floppy-based installs -- to appendices, subsidiary
documents, etc.

So, with the state the installer is in now, it's my
belief that the manual would have the wrong focus if
started now, or if based on the boot-floppies source.
We'd be shoe-horning in the GUI stuff rather than the
other way around. The details are there in b-f, we can
copy whatever we need whenever we need it.

Am I way off base?

/me dons asbestos

--
http://Www.TruthAboutWar.org