Re: Further difficulties with install

On Sat, 15 Mar 2003, Chris Tillman wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 15, 2003 at 05:00:51AM +0800, debian@computerdatasafe.com.au wrote:

> > > I don't understand the problem. Configure Modules should work now.
> >
> > My install kernel is 2.4. The modules that got installed are 2.2.20.
> > Reiterating didn't get any 2.4 modules in place. As I said, when I
> > inserted disk 1 after having installed modules off the install disk, it
> > didn't less me choose modules, it just installed the wrong ones again.
>
> Ah. The only solution I know, is to make sure you have the matching
> root.bin. If you boot the 2.2.20 kernel, make sure the root.bin you
> use is from the powermac folder in the archive. For 2.4, it must
> be the one from the new-powermac folder.

It shouldn't have been installing modules for a different kernel.

> > > You're right, there won't be any significant changes to boot-floppies.

> > > Testing is appreciated, the installer is in alpha moving-to-beta
> > > stage. There are many links for info, take a look at the last month's
> > > traffic on lists.debian.org/debian-boot .
> >
> > If you want more people to test it, you should make it easier to find;-)
> > As I said, I spent quite a bit of time roaming the download instructions
> > looking for it, and didn't find it.
>
> Well, it's not really ready for general public testing yet.
>
> > The discussion of Sarge needs a better link - there is one, but it's
> > useless - to d-i, and that link needs to point to something, maybe
> > Joey's Daily Builds, and maybe as much as 2k of notes on what to use
> > when, and how to connect it to Woody and Sarge.
> >
> > And, Joey's Daily Buulds need to be built daily. Some of what I found
> > there is months old.
>
> That's cuz Joey is not really involved on a daily basis. In the recent
> archives of debian-boot you'll find lots of links to d-i status pages,
> info pages, and pointers to the Real (Tolleff's) Daily Builds.
>
> However, since you have a mac, no daily builds for you. You have to

I think you're confused. Search back, and you will see I'm running IA32.

I was using Joey's daily builds because that's what the README I got
from CVS said. That's now fixed and I'm using the right daily builds.

> roll your own in order to test. If you'd like to try it, check out the
> cvs tree (cvs.debian.org/debian-installer/README) and go 4 it. There's
> no partition application yet, and no boot loader installer; but you
> can get the menus to work ;)

I've got the CVS checked out. I'm a bit doubtful about actually building
it because all my machines, test machines aside, are running Red Hat
Linux 7.{2,3}. However, I _can_ admire the source code.

I don't see any build instructions there though.

--

Cheers
John Summerfield

Please, no off-list mail at all at all. This address accepts mail only from Debian lists.