Re: status of gtk-frontend

Hi,

Ok, if I get the chance I will commit to CVS a gtk-installer module;
(a bit busy at the minute .. newborn baby daughter on Monday!)

Some ideas:
(1) Grey out options that don't work at this moment (in the configure
process): ie net-retriever should be greyed out if ethdetect /
pppconfig/ plipconfig hasn't happened yet.

(2) Place alternatives on the same level in a sub-tree -
	ie ---retrieve install modules
		-- net retriever
		-- cdrom retriever
		-- floppy retriever,

(We can't do tree views in other frontends, can we? )

(3) Status bar (on the bottom of the screen) explains _why_ we can't
select an option yet, triggered by a mouseover on the menu option; eg.
if theres no net configured, the "net retriever" should be greyed out
and when you mouse over it "Please configure the network first" should
appear in the statusbar.

(4) cdebconf pages should appear in an embedded window, not as popups.
   Answering that many questions in popups is going to be very visually
distracting.

(5) When installing base system is happening, scroll up through the
propsed "debian helper fortunes" , in a tip-of-the-day style;
This is possibly the first (and last?) time we'll get the user to sit
still and listen to us, so explain here about reportbug, etc.
(Something like mandrakes advertising screens).

Alastair McKinstry <mckinstry@computer.org>
GPG Key fingerprint = 9E64 E714 8E08 81F9 F3DC  1020 FA8E 3790 9051 38F4

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that
will reach to himself.

- --Thomas Paine