Re: Packages for gui-installer

On Sat, Mar 08, 2003 at 03:35:42PM +0000, Alastair McKinstry wrote:

> Hi,

Hi,

> A bunch of packages are now ready for the GUI installer; most are udeb
> additions to existing packages, and have the same source package, but
> some (specifically gtk+-directfb-udeb) are new. Do people think they
> should be uploaded anywhere in particular, or just into the main
> archive?

I'll let the decision about where to upload the packages to the most
experienced people.

> Secondly, looking at the gtk installer home page
> 	http://www.mmweg.rwth-aachen.de/~sebastian.ley/d-i/
> a decision needs to be made as to how we start the GUI installer.
>
> My preference is as follows:
> CDROM boots, into newt/slang/etc installer.
> CDROM (mostly) autodetected, and additional modules loaded, if possible.
> If priority = low, then "Use Graphical installer" appears on menu; if
> chosen, magic happens.
> If priority = medium, it happens automatically without appearing on
> menu.

I would like to see this approach being used. Some years ago I have used
a quite popular GNU/Linux distro here in Brazil : Conectiva Linux. They
were using the following approach :

The instaler initially loads a newt-based interface and a menu is presented
to the user. The user could choose how he/she would like to proceed with
the installation selecting from the menu  an option to proceed with the
newt-base interface or using a graphicall one (I think the graphicall one
was fltk-based, but that's not relevant here).

> ie. minimal questions, clean in most cases, with the ability for the
> user to stop it happening by selecting priority=low on the text install
> menu.

You mean providing a way (a button or whatever) to the user so he/she can
change the desired debconf priority on each installation step
(or screen) ? I don't think this is needed and that it would only
polute our interface without a real need. If the user need more control
over the installation he/she will choose a differente level of priority
as the first step of the installation anyway.

However, I agree with you on how the questions should be presented. The
questions should be clear enough that a non-experienced user should be
able to install the system without too much trouble. The debconf priority
feature already provide us with a clever way to do it. We would need
only to review all the questions currently being presented to the user by
the udebs we already have and try to simplify them the more we can.

I'm also sure that providing a graphicall installer would really
encourage much more testers to give d-i a try and the result will be
much more bug reports and consequently much more feedback about the
level of our existing questions and how we could improve it.

Regards,

--
||  André Luís Lopes                   andrelop@ig.com.br               ||