Re: More on languagechooser

On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 03:28:35PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Denis Barbier]
> > This is indeed much simpler, but why do you still believe that
> > country and language are related?
>
> The locale is a combination of language and region (country).

The territory part gives language variants, it is not related to
geographic location.
Moreover locales also contain encoding informations.

[...]
> > I also do not understand why locales are not selected by the locales
> > package; in other words, languagechooser should only set the
> > LANGUAGE variable, doesn't it?
>
> No, I do not see the value of having two packages asking for almost
> the same information.

But the locales package has to be installed and configured in order
to provide a full i18n support, so why don't we use it?

> I believe asking which locale (language/regian)
> to use is better then asking first for language, and then for locale.

Again there are 3 encodings for fr_FR, how will user choose his preferred
one?

Denis