Re: Root-on-LVM-on-RAID HOWTO

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 12:02:20PM +0100, Massimiliano Ferrero wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've written a doc on how to install a Debian with root file system over
> LVM and RAID.
>
> If it's of any interest it can be found at this URL:
> http://www.midhgard.it/docs/index_en.html
>
> Any suggestion/criticism/correction is welcome.

A few things:

o Please mention that the HOWTO is i386 specific.  I recently used
some ideas from your HOWTO to do something similar on a sparc, but it
was painful :-)  i had to use a non-RAID /boot to do it.

o Perhaps this was just me, but the default debian install starts both
LVM and RAID at S25 in /etc/rcS.d .  If you aren't using raid
autodetect this can cause problems because LVM starts first.  I moved
LVM to S27.

o I noticed you use bash in your initrd; wouldn't ash be more
appropriate?  Also, insmod/modprobe aren't needed when the kernel has
RAID and LVM compiled in.

o Another initrd point: it's important to note that the filesystem of
the initrd needs to be writable so vgscan works.  The first time
around I used cramfs ... oops.  You also need to leave enough free
space so vgscan and vgchange can write their stuff, or you should
provide "-A n" to vgchange so it doesn't write a backup.  Since the
initrd gets pivoted out of the way writing a backup seems like a waste
of time.

o I found it a lot easier to just use mdadm to set up my RAID; I
didn't bother creating a raidtab at all.  I have no spare disks so I
don't need one.

That's all I can remember right now :-)

Best regards,

  A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take
  from you.
          -- Ramsey Clark