Re: D-I build / initial test on powerpc

tis 2003-01-21 klockan 13.31 skrev Chris Tillman:
> Next I tried make demo, keep in mind that I have no idea what I'm
> doing here; if my comments are ignorable, please do so ...

:-)

I'm snipping the parts that I don't really have any comments on, or
don't know anything about.

> For the first make demo, I got
> Cannot open template file /var/lib/cdebconf/templates.dat
>
> However, that file was there when I executed a shell immediately
> afterward. It must be created there after its absence is first
> detected. Perhaps wait to report the error until the fix is tried?

Yes, this is a warning that cdebconf spits out. I think it's totally
unnecessary to print it. Ignore it for now.

> What is the proper command to exit the shell and re-enter the main
> menu? I typed exit in the shell and the demo stopped.

Heck, on x86 I can't even get a shell in make demo. Or maybe I can
nowadays, I haven't tried for a long time. exit *should* exit dash but
not the rest of d-i! ctrl-d for EOF works for me in vmware.

> After choosing the retriever (choice 1 of 1), I tried to choose
> modules. The menu kept coming back whenever I typed a number,
> leading me to believe that nothing was being accomplished. I'd
> suggest a line just before the prompt listing Chosen: numbers
> as a feedback for the user.

The items you select should have a '(selected)' thingy after them, but
it's easy to miss.

> Detect hard drives also gave no feedback as to whether it
> was successful or not, but the menu default was changed to

Yup. I guess there's a tradeoff between verbosity and irritation over
hitting enter a gazillion times... Not saying anything if it's all right
is very unixy but perhaps not proper in an installer.

> Automatically Partition (unsafe) (default). IMHO this should
> not ever become default.

Odd, it usually appears below the normal Partition choice for me, so it
should become default.

> Skipping the partition and filesystem steps, the installer
> helpfully warns that I haven't done those, yet gives me the
> option to say I already did them. This is a nice touch, I think.

Thanks, but the mechanism is implemented in a very ugly way right now
(dummy packages). It will probably be replaced by a more general
mechanisms that use Recommends instead of Depends.

> di-utils-mount-partitions/which-partition PARTITIOMS also fails with
> an incorrect number of arguments, postinst exited with status
> 5120. Again, this code is probably trying to read my Mac partition
> table as if it was an i386 one.

Probably, yes.

> All in all, very impressive so far. It builds and works smoothly
> and quickly. We just need some powerpc disk guru to help a little
> in order to go any further on powerpc.

Sounds great!

/Martin