Problem with Debian

Have been trying to install Debian Woody 3.0 at least 10 times but
unsuccessful.  Cannot get either xwindows (have an i810 video card) or
sound to work.  It recognizes the cards but video/sound will not work.
Have tried every way of installing possible, but no luck. Odd part is:
I have installed Lindows and Knoppix - both of which are Debian and
things work fine!  In fact, Lindows installed in 10 minutes flat.  I do
not understand why such a good system as Debian will not install yet a
recent offshoot product that is Debian-based has no problem.  Please do
not misunderstand - I am reporting this only so you might be aware of
it, so it can (hopefully) be changed.  Thanks for lending an ear.