Problem booting up

Hi,

I'm a newbie and I'd like to install Debian on a computer of mine.  I tried installing from CD but can't get it to work.  I get a blank screen after a second or two when I hit enter.  I am using the correct version for my architecture (i386).  I tried nolangchooser which got rid of the blank screen but the computer hangs every time anyway (after apparently finding my CD- and CDRW drives, etc. successfully) .  This is what the last line reads before it hangs:

init started:  BusyBox v0,60.3-pre (2002.01.21-22:50+0000) multi-call binary

I had Windows installed on the computer but have already reformatted C (format c: /s) from DOS.  There is one partition created using the fdisk utility.  I tried running fips but it told me that 12-bit FAT wasn't supported (?).

I don't have a lot of system information because I only know how to read it from Windows and I forgot to write it down. (I know this wasn't the smartest thing I could have done.)  If you need more information about my system before being able to help me, could you please tell me what you need to know and what utilities I should use to get it?

Thank you very much for your help!

Bob Barber
932 Bowman Dr.
Lewes, DE 19958