3.0.24 powerpc (Oldworld Mac)

OK,

Just an quick report;

I've now tried the
http://people.debian.org/~schmitz/3.0.24-2003-01-03/powermac/
floppies on a 7200/120 and a 7200/75 Mac.

First I must echo the comments from the install guides about
unreliable floppies. I repeated the case where two root.bin floppies
failed, but the third worked.

The 7200/120 is not talking over its network port. This may be due to
cabling troubles in my layout. (My main home LAN is on a 100-only
speed switch, a bargain but old macs only network at 10 Mbps.) I
expect to try again once I verify cables and/or get a new switch or
hub.

Good news. Last time I tried, the boot floppy didn't wait for the root
floppy. Now with 3.0.24, the boot floppy nicely self-ejects and waits
for keyboard input before reading the root floppy.

So at work I got an install going on a 7200/75. With a better 10/100
switch, it was able to fetch the rest of the packages over the
network. I just used the boot-floppy-hfs.img and root.bin pair of
disks.

Once I get a powerpc platform robust enough to build kernels I may try
again what I did last spring on the MVME2300:
http://people.debian.org/~bottoms/Debian-VME-PPC.html

-Maitland