d-i ia64 install report

This is using the daily build sarge-ia64-buisnesscard.iso, dated
30-DEC-2003 11:02.

Installing sarge didn't work, because it doesn't have the newest
debootstrap, so I used it to install sid.  This is the first time I've
tried d-i for a few weeks, and some things have broken in the meantime.

Issues:

Some char-set issue on language selection, top line has '?????', at
least.  Didn't see this problem before.

Failed to detect my cdrom (ide), because it never loaded ide-probe-mod.o
I have to manually modprobe that before d-i loaded the other kernel
modules for cdrom detection to work.  If I modprobed it after d-i failed
to detect the cd, I then had to manually mknod /dev/cdrom b 3 0 and tell
d-i to use that.  Didn't see this problem before.

dhcp network config got an ip address ok, but failed to fill in
/etc/resolv.conf, so it couldn't resolve names.  Had to give ip addr for
my local mirror.  Didn't see this problem before.

Auto kernel selection picked 2.4.19, although there are newer ones
available.  We need code to detect the appropraite one for the h/w
really (smp, itanium, mckinley), and a more recent version.  May be
problems going for the most recent though, as that has switched to
everything modular, and booting via an initrd.  Don't know if elilo
setup will need some tweeks for that.

elilo failed to run because I didn't have a vaild boot partition with a
FAT filesystem on it already on the disk.  Had to run elilo manually
with --format, or mkdosfs first (after chroot-ing to /target).  The
right way to get round that is to use parted to make a fat32 filesystem
on the boot partition when creating it, but:

parted seems to be broken.  It doesn't seem able to create filesystems
anymore.  Havn't looked in to this yet, but "mkpartfs pri ext2 1000
2000" just returns to the prompt without apparently doing anything.
Need to look in to this a bit more and file bug.

jbailey has hit problems on his box because the 2.4.20 kernel we boot
doesn't have include a module for the 53c1030.

Now dannf has done the ia64 work of getting initrd based booting to
work, with everything modular, I think we really should switch to using
his 2.4.22 kernels for d-i, and installing that kernel.  That might
require some elilo setup fixes.

I see the autobuild of d-i fails, re QM_MODULES.  IIRC that was a glibc
problem, and I thought it was fixed.

I'm a bit out of touch with d-i, so it may be some of these issues are
known/inhand.

Richard