Re: Reading debootstrap.log on a failed install using ash

On Dec 30, 2003, at 10:25 AM, Joey Hess wrote:

Barry Hawkins wrote:
List,
	I have purchased a 1GHz 15" PowerBook G4 that I am trying to run an
installation for using the sarge business card install. The date of my
iso is November 19th.  I haven't seen any news of the old location for
those being back up, so I am still trying to use this one.

http://people.debian.org/~manty/testing/netinst/

	My installation failed to install to /target/ with a return value
of 1. I was instructed to look at debootstrap.log and debootstrap.err.log in /target/var/log. I launched the ash shell from the install menu and tried to no avail to get a glimpse of these files. Can someone tell me
how to view these log files when you do not have a successful
installation of Debian on a system?  I tried a number of the available
commands from ash, but the commands don't behave the same.  For
example, "more" only confirms the existence of a file.

I'd suggest cat, or nano. Myself, I use nano.

--
see shy jo

Joey,
Many thanks! I will down load the new one and give it a go. I almost tried cat - darn! I may try the old CD just to satisfy my curiosity. Because my November iso is currently so old, would it benefit the effort to file an installation report? If not, I will just use the newer iso and get on with it.

Regards,
--
Barry C. Hawkins
All Things Computed