Re: New powerpc kernel packages accepted.

On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 01:07:55PM +0100, Gaudenz Steinlin wrote:
> Am Mit, den 24.12.2003 schrieb Sven Luther um 07:38:

> > Saddly, i was not able to work on this yesterday nor this morning.
> Sven, enjoy your christmas. As long as the powerpc daily builds are not
> working again there's no need to hurry up.

Cool, thanks. I will be back on monday, and probably have some time on
saturday. But doing d-i work offline without local mirror is no fun.

> > > Do I need to turn on powerpc udeb building in linux-kernel-di now? This
> > > will involve yet another trip through NEW, though with luck a ftpmaster
> > > will be available.
> >
> > Yes, please. If you do that, i will fix the post processing that is
> > needed making builtin initrd kernels.
> >
> > Basically, we need to install the following packages :
> >
> >   kernel-image-2.4.22-powerpc-chrp
> >   kernel-image-2.4.22-powerpc-chrp-rs6k
> >   kernel-image-2.4.22-powerpc-pmac
> >   kernel-image-2.4.22-powerpc-prep
> >   kernel-image-2.4.22-powerpc-small-pmac
> >
> > These ones are for the kernels. the chrp, chrp-rs6k and prep will
> > contain vmlinuz-2.4.22-powerpc kernels, and both -pmac ones will contain
> > vmlinux (and vmlinux.coff, but we can ignore this one for now). The
> > -small-pmac is needed for the miboot/oldworld floppy target someone
> > needs to work on.
> >
> > Then you need to get :
> >
> >   kernel-modules-2.4.22-powerpc
> >   kernel-modules-2.4.22-powerpc-small
> >
> > Which contains the modules for the -powerpc kernels above and/or the
> > -powerpc-small ones. Notice that this means building two different
> > initrds, since to make the kernel smaller, we removed lot of stuff that
> > may be needed. Also the floppy target initrd needs to fit on a floppy.
> Is there a reason why the small flavour should not work for all systems?
> I would prefer to only use this flavour if it works for an arch. Using
> modules makes the whole thing much more flexible.

Well, maybe it will work. It has some limitations though, since lot of
things had to go as modules. In particular i don't believe it will work
with nfs root or such things.

In particular it has not been largely tested on powerpc hardware as the
-powerpc ones have been. I would prefer that both are built for now, and
once we get more wide testing of the -small ones, we may be able to
switch to it.

> > And finally, there is need to install the :
> >
> >   kernel-build-2.4.22-powerpc
> >
> > Which i will use in a later step to build the kernel with builtin
> > initrd. this package contains a tarball, which once uncompressed is able
> > to build the initrd kernels. There is a very basic script in the
> > toplevel of the tarball which allows you to do that. If i remember well,
> > you just pass it the path of the initrd and it will build you all the
> > builtin initrd kernels. ONly problem remaining, but this is a kernel
> > problem, is that the bigger initrd is still problematic on chrp, but i
> > need to look into this more. Difficult stuff though.

> > > That bug was also present in the (2.4) kernel shipped with woody, AFAIK.
> >
> > Yeah, but if i remember well, the devfs was not compiled in in 2.4, and
> > thus the bug was not present.
> It is compiled into kernel-image-2.4.18-1-i386. This is now the standard
> kernel for woody on i386. Probably it was not compiled into the powerpc
> kernel, but this should not make a difference.

Well, boot-floppies died because of that, but then they used 2.2 by
default on most arches.

> > I have a patch fixing this, but i don't know how it behaves when devfs
> > is mounted.
> Please make sure your patch works in any circumstances before applying
> it, because as far as we know until now this bug fixes only a cosmetic
> issue.

Yep, naturally.

Friendly,

Sven Luther