Re: Booting netinst from SCSI CDROM fails

Harald Dunkel wrote:
> My PC has only SCSI and USB CD-drives.
>
> Using the Woody netinst CD I could successfully install Debian
> on my PC. But for Sarge netinst (Nov 22nd) it doesn't work. AFAIR
> I got some message that the CD could not be found, even though
> the kernel has already been loaded from that same CD.
>
> Are there some FAQs especially for netinst that I missed?

Yes, see the INSTALLATION-HOWTO:

  2.1.1 SCSI CD drives

  If you have a SCSI CD drive, then you will also currently need one driver
  floppy to let the installer see your CD drive. See section 2.2 for
  information about floppys, and download the scsi_drivers floppy image and
  write it to disk. You will be given an opportunity to load drivers from the
  floppy after the installer fails to see your SCSI CD drive, and after

However, this is slated to change, the next beta of the installer should
support SCSI CD drives without a driver floppy, if the SCSI controller is
one of a small set of common controllers (currently those driven by the
aic7xxx, BusLogic, and sym53c8xx modules, but I am still in the process of
deciding what gets in).

By contrast, USB CDROM should work, but has probably not gotten enough
testing.

--
see shy jo