Re: installation report

On Wed, Dec 17, 2003 at 02:01:13AM +0100, Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl wrote:
> > By the way, you can't install "all" packages because

> Installation of a new Debian system involves choosing packages.
> One of the choices is "All".
> That is the "All" I have been referring to.

> > In Debian, installing a package means both unpacking it and configuring it.

> A bug. I show that an intermediate state is necessary.

You show that you want an intermediate state, which is hardly the same
thing as proof that it's necessary.

Many maintainer scripts already support the invoke-rc.d interface, which
allows local control over install-time starting/restarting of services
through policy-rc.d.  Combined with symlink-based management of
per-runlevel services, this covers many of users' needs where control of
service starting is concerned.

It is generally agreed that there's room for improvement in this area;
however,

- this is not a function of the Debian installer, so seems off-topic for
this list; and,

- installing all packages has other risks associated with it,
independent of whether network services contained in some of those
packages are started by default.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer