Re: installation report

3 reactions - Thanks!

> try the new installer

Too late - there was a 6-hour window between my report
and the moment the machine was really in use. Cannot
reinstall now without disrupting stuff.

>> [during installation of a new Debian system - select All packages]
>> No conversation at all should occur while files are being installed on-disk.
>> On the other hand, no daemons or so should be started without confirmation.
>> A security risk.

> Do not install those packages, then.

Wrong answer. I do not install "those packages". I install "All".
The number of packages will slowly grow and it will become less and less
feasible to start a conversation about individual ones.

Selecting "All" during installation is a much weaker commitment
than something like "apt-get install". It does not follow that I
know what the package is or does, or that I want to use it, or that I
want to configure it.

> What you seem to expect is probably against Debian philosophy.

If so, then perhaps Debian philosophy will have to change.

Andries