Re: lowmem..

Joey Hess wrote:
>  - Making tmpfs use more memory. See bug #219528, which points out that
>    currently d-i can use only 1/2 of memory for its initrd. This might
>    get us down from say, 64 mb minimum to 48 mb (16 mb runtime + 32 mb
>    initrd). No real numbers yet.

With this change I can do an install on a machine limited to 38 MB of
ram, if I'm careful to configure swap as soon as I can. About 20 mb of
swap is used, so there is some swapping going on; before swapon the
lowest I noticed memory was at about 500k free.

rootskel can delete the 2.4 mb unifont.bgf on installs without
framebuffer, saving that much space. Since non framebuffer also uses
less memory in other ways, I have gotten an install to work with only 33
MB of ram, booting with debian-installer/framebuffer=false.

With freeramdisk, 32 MB installs with framebuffer should be easy, and
without framebuffer, we should be in the 24 to 28 mb range.

--
see shy jo