Re: d-i and alternative filesystems

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 04:10:14PM +1100, Sam Johnston wrote:
> Afternoon all,
>
> I was surprised that beta1 only gave me the option of ext2 and ext3
> filesystems, especially given how easy it appears to be to add
> others:
>
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-boot/2003/debian-boot-200307/msg00483.html
>
> What is the status of xfs, jfs and/or reiserfs support? I like the look
> of xfs and jfs in particular (especially jfs which should work with 2.4
> and 2.6 kernels alike, without patches).

Blah, JFS (as best I can determine) can't be resized, which makes it
suboptimal for use with LVM (other than that I'm sure it's quite a lovely
filesystem)

XFS, AFAIK isn't part of the mainstream kernel, and therefore a stock Debian
kernel wouldn't be able to mount such partitions. I ran into this conundrum
when I recently rebuilt my home machine, and wanted to play with multiple
filesystems. I had to settle for ext3, JFS and reiserfs only :-(

Andrew