Re: What about gettext-udeb?

Anton Zinoviev wrote:
> In a few days I will be able to annonuce a ready-to-use version of the
> debconf-based partitioner I am making. It uses libparted

That sounds very promising.

> and hence I need an internationalisation of the udeb-version of libparted.
> Some of the functions of this library return strings in English.  The
> caller is responcible to translate these strings using gettext and the
> provided mo-files.
>
> What choices do we have?
>
> It seams difficult to use pointerize as this would require change in
> libparted.  The other choice is gettext.
>
> The binary /usr/bin/gettext and the libraries this binary is linked to
> seam to me small.  There must be no space-related problems here.  On
> the other hand the approximate size of the mo-files is about two times
> the size of the pointerized mo-files.  For example the mo-files for
> all languages of libparted are about 700Kb and their pointerized
> version is about 350Kb.  I don't know if this makes a great
> difference.

It will probably make the difference between d-i needing N and N+1 MB of
memory to install, that's all.

Another possible altrnative is to (ab)use the cdebconf database as a
way to get strings translated. It works for main-menu..

Also, d-i already has two udebs using libparted, and they seem to manage
ok without gettext somehow. Actually, I think partconf has a few
untranslatable strings like "IDE" and "part." though.

> What do you think?  Should I try to make the necessary patches or at
> least fill wishlist bug reports against gettext and libparted?

I think I'm dying to see this new partitioner as soon as possible, even
if i18n comes later.

--
see shy jo