install report

Debian-installer-version: sarge-i386-netinst.iso from nov 19th
Method: CD install in vmware

Base System Installation Checklist:

Initial boot worked:    [O]
Configure keyboard:	[E]
Configure network HW:   [O]
Config network:         [?]
Detect CD:              [O]
Load installer modules: [O]
Detect hard drives:     [O]
Partition hard drives:  [O]
Create file systems:    [O]
Mount partitions:       [O]
Install base system:    [O]
Install boot loader:    [O]
Reboot:                 [O]
[O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it

Comments/Problems:

My iso has kdb-chooser 0.34 on it, and after I chose the default US English
locale, it decided I should have a dvorak keyboard. I don't know what
kbd-chooser's fascination with dvorak is, but it's never a good default,
and this has been reported several times IIRC.

Network config found my card, but did not get a dhcp lease from vmware.
Probably a problem with my vmware, but this let me experience the
oh-so-pleasant path of dhcp failing after a long timeout, and main-menu
running it again and again when I piced unrelated items like cdrom-detect
(or perhaps rather, increasing debconf priority and re-selecting the
failing netcfg-dhcp, after cdrom-detect succeeds). Manual network config
succeeded, modulo dvorak keyboard which I had to go back and switch to
qwerty first.

Before installing debs from the CD it displayed a new progress bar as it
checked the size of each udeb. I'm not sure what this was (not
cdrom-checker), and it should be a bit clearer what it's doing there.

If you pick go back from the final message displayed before reboot,
main-menu autoselects the debconf priority selector. It should instead drop
back to the main menu I'd think.

Just for kicks I tried running baseconfig-udeb from the menu. After asking
if I was sure I wanted to, it apparently did nothing. I didn't see
base-config until after rebooting.

During boot of the debian system, I noticed it displayed a little warning
about /etc/mtab: No such file or directory. Perhaps we should create a
blank one.

After boot I experienced the usual problems with reiserfs tools not being
installed and so unable to check my root filesystem, and with nothing

Also, discover tries to load a parport_pc module on boot, this fails with
the error, "init_module: Device or resource busy". The parport module is
successfully loaded however.

Looking through the logs in /var/log/debian-installer, the hardware-summary
looks useful. Pity the install-report.template does not refer to it.
However, report-hw is unable to run hdparm, since it is not available in
/target or the d-i ramdisk. package-versions would also be a useful thing
to have included in installation reports.

--
see shy jo