Re: Some ways to save space on the floppies

On Fri Nov 14, 2003 at 12:21:36PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Any idea how uclibc links against main and why glibc does not have the
> same problem? I guess glibc links the startsup code into every bin
> while uclibcs startup code jumps into uclibc first?

In uClibc, crt1.o on all architectures calls the
__uClibc_start_main() function, which is responsible for
initializing uClibc (i.e. setting up __environ, running all
ctors, registering dtors, etc).  Inside of crt1.o we have added a
weak reference to main(), since we had problems with linking when
main was contained within a .o (such as with xfree86) then main
would be omitted by the linker.

So yes, with uClibc there will be a missing weak of main()
if you include crt1.o into your calculations.

 -Erik