Re: My experience with d-i

Quoting Bill Allombert (allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr):

> Then it proceed with the `Configure network via DHCP'. This one is
> really painful, since it lock the install for a long time since I have
> no DHCP server, but I was not offered to skip this stage and go directly
> to 'Configure a static network'.

That one also pisses me off (sorry for maybe too trivial language,
folks...I do not really intend to be rude, just a bit humor).

I think this is a design choice mostly.

People, from the d-i team, who worked during the earlier stages of d-i
development can probably explain this choice.

> I think 'Configure a static network' asks question in the wrong order.
> In a lot of case, hostname, domainname are not required for installing.
> (and a lot of people don't have a domainname either.
> Even the DNS server is not always needed.
> So it should ask first:
> the IP
> the netmask
> the gateway

I definitely confirm.

Most OS (including Windows flavors) ask these basic question in this
order (or, for WIndows, by first showing the IP address/netmask tab)

I indeed entered the wrong parameters during some of my own tests and
put my	IP address....in the "domain" field.. :-)