Re: Flavors

On Mon, 2003-11-10 at 15:26, Chris Tillman wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 09, 2003 at 10:59:51PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Chris Tillman wrote:
> > > In the old installation manual, there were four (no, 5) flavors of
> > > kernels for i386. In the current kernel module, only one kernel
> > > version is listed. Can we dump all the instructions for users about
> > > choosing flavors on i386? (Please say yes).
> >
> > The installer chooses a flavor based on the hardware, so this should not
> > need a great deal of consideration from users.
>
> Well, the whole point of the existing discussion is to choose a CD
> that will boot on one's hardware. All machines will now boot from
> CD 1?
As far as it has already been discussed, the plan for i386 was to only
have one kernel for every hardware, but to have possibly several
bootable cds with different boot methods. So we could use isolinux on
CD1 (no space limit, but does not boot on every hardware) and
traditional el-torrito floppy emulation on CD2  (2.88MB space limit,
boots on most hardware).
The current images hoever do not implement this plan. They do not use
isolinux. Probably we should decide on that soon now.

gaudenz