doc/TODO up-to-date

I think I have doc/TODO back up-to-date. Please take a minute to look
over it and correct or add anything I'm not aware of.

--
see shy jo
Important things to do before preview release

Here's a list of urgent things we need to do before issuing a preview
release.

  * Get the load-* stuff out of NEW.

  * Fix mkreiserfs to not hang. (#213314)

  * Finish the libdebian-installer transition, get a working install again.
    (Done or nearly so.)

  * Error handling.  We need to make sure the user is told so when
    something goes wrong. It's especially bad for debootstrap.

  * Progress bar when running mkfs.

  * bogl-term refresh problem

  * Is cfdisk really the best partitioner we can come up with on i386,
    aside from autopartkit?

  * Get some new successful CD installation reports with builds newer than
    the Oct 8th build.

  * Update the web site to include user docs, including links to download
    boot media.

Current status
==============

	CD installs to i386 and (some) powerpc are working, with many
	successful installs (and many bugs).
	Some success with other install methods: floppy, netboot, etc.

	debian-installer images are built daily for i386, powerpc.
	This includes CD images.

	debian-installer boot images (i386, powerpc) are available in
	the Debian archive, in unstable.

Status for different parts of debian-installer.  The numbers are
approximate (as in +/- 50%) and may change in any direction, at any
time.

[0%] Not begun
	- Some kind of a mechanism for udebs to declare what parts of
	  busybox they need, so we can ensure that all deps are met while
	  keeping the busybox footprint small.
          Packages depending on base-installer should use the
	  utilities in /target so we can keep busybox's size down.
	  (We will probably ship without this.)
	- lintian support for udebs, to catch all the common gotchas
	- ppp support
	  Not as important for analog dialup, as for ISDN, pppoe.
	- wireless support
	  If you're lucky, you may just get a nearby AP by default, but
	  there is no wireless-tools, no way to configure it
	- some architectures
		arm
		hurd-i386
		sh
		s/390
		sparc

[30%] Might need large rewrites. Current implementation might
      work by accident
        - user documentation
		Short term we have the INSTALLATION-HOWTO, but the real
		install manual is still being put together, and lacks a
		Makefile.
        - GUI frontend to cdebconf.
		There are some basic implementations. The trick is to make
		it a GUI that does not suck, while still using debconf
		underneath.
	- cdrom-checker
		apparently broken (#213054)
	- pcmcia support
		may work, may not..
		pcmcia-modules are not installed onto the target
		pcmcia-cs-udeb has a broken (reduced?) pcmcia config
		which makes it not work with eg, orinoco
		Probably need to re-run hw-detect after loading pcmcia from
		the net_driver floppy.
	- some architectures
		alpha
		hppa
		ia64
		m69k (some subarches)
		mips, mipsel

[60%] Needs some work, but does its grunt work
	- I18N
		Mostly there.
		Still working on various things such as moving menu items
		into debconf.
	- translations
		Varying languages translated to varying degrees.
	- language-chooser
		The perrenial problem is how to order/present the list of
		languages. Many complaints, but it works.
        - boot loader installers (lilo, grub, etc)
		Work, except for when they don't. See BTS.
        - disk formatter
                Works, except for reiserfs hang prolem.
        - base system installer
		debootstrap is stable, and has quite good support in
                base-installer
		Except for when it fails. See BTS.
		In particular, it always fails when used on a non-empty
		partition. Many users run into this.
        - netcfg
		Working, pending rewrite for IPv6 and multiple devices
                support.
	- anna
		Works, mostly.  Needs support for Releases files.
		Support for signed Release files would be cool, but
		needs gpgv-udeb.
		Needs to have load-installer properly split out of the anna
		binary to save space on root floppy.
	- kernel-package integration
		Moving to the new linux-kernel-di system, so far only i386
		is fully converted.
        - disk selector, partitioner
		There are two of them, autopartkit and partkit.
		partkit needs polish, both work, except for when they
		don't. (See BTS.)
	- iso-scan
		Works, but does not flag the disk the iso is mounted from
		as unusable by the rest of the installer.
	- web site
		Could be better laid out, lacking some sections, other
		parts are quite good.
	- archive integration
                We probably want to separate testing and unstable at some
		point.
		Only a few arches (i386, powerpc) have boot media in the
		archive.
		There is currently no mechanism to promote boot media
		or udebs from unstable to testing.
	- some architectures
		i386
		powerpc (some subarches)

[90%] Single missing important feature or bug.
        - install media build system
		The mrvn branch needs to be tested and merged.
		The dest/ image names need to be reorganised.
	- partconf
		Reiserfs hangs, in interactive mode.
	- hw-detect
		Working but needs to be switched over to discover2
	- bts
		Search for bugs tagged d-i
		(Still need a non-manual way to tag our bugs.)

[100%] Those shouldn't need to be touched any more
       (famous last words)
        - udpkg
		May be eventually replaced with busybox dpkg.
	- cd installs
                Works mostly.
 	- net retriever
	- cdrom retriever
        - ethdetect
        - library reduction
		Working (on all arches?)
	- post-reboot configuration
		base-cofig is stable, though stuff may need to be added to
		it to handle things d-i doesn't bother with. i18n is
                needed.
		Integration with debian installer's debconf database still
		needs to be done, although the current ugly system works.
        - cdebconf
	- dhcp
	- floppy retriever
        - main-menu
        - choose-mirror
        - busybox integration

Common problems and transitions
===============================

This is a list of common mistakes that need to be corrected throughout the
code base:

  * All debconf commands that INPUT, GO, GET or SET questions should check
    their return value. This is pure evil:

    debconf->command(debconf, "GET", "mirror/distribution", NULL); /* unchecked return code ! */
    asprintf(&command, "foo %s", debconf->value);
    system(command);

  * Nothing should send error messages to stderr. If there is an error,
    use debconf to display a message. stderr messages will overwrite the
    newt frontend.

  * cdebconf's debconfclient.h has a set of macros for calling debconf
    (debconf_get() and so on)
    These should perhaps be used consistently throughout the code for
    clarity.

  * There needs to be a centralised logging method. Syslog will do, but
    we currently have a lot of nasty code that appends messages to
    /var/log/messages directly. All of that would be converted to pipe it
    to logger. However, this is a problem, because piping a command to
    logger loses the exit status of the command. Need some way to run a
    command, logging the ouput to syslog, w/o losing exit status.

  * udebs should not include md5sums files, or postrm, prerm, preinst
    scripts. This includes ones generated by debhelper.

  * Use the cdebconf error template type for error messages, instead of
    note.

  * Most debconf title setting can be replaced with providing the
    appropriate title template and letting main-menu set it.

  * Some main menu items still need to be updated to provide menu entry
    templates.