Re: [powermac] installation report gluck image from october 31

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 02:59:38PM +0000, Richard Hirst wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 02:18:45AM +0100, Arnaud Vandyck wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > Many progress! Many thanks for the good job.
> >
> > Now the problems I faced:
> >
> > - debootstrap stopped with error code 127.  I read the
> >   /target/var/log/debootstrap.log:
> > ln: /target/usr/bin/awk: File exists
> >
> > So I deleted the symlink in a shell (I cannot go to another console :(),
> > then exit and re-run install the  base system. A lot of packages seem to
> > have been installed but I got a debootstrap error code 1. In the log:
> > Errors were encountered while processing:
> >   amiga-fdisk
>
> You need to look farther back in the log to see what the problem was
> processing amiga-fdisk.  It's likely your install used a version of
> debootstrap that doesn't install libreadline4, which amiga-fdisk needs.
> libreadline4 was removed from debootstrap in a recent version, breaking
> m68k (since fixed, except libreadline4 is now included twice in sarge)
> and ia64 (bug filed).  It seems it broke powerpc as well.

amiga-fdisk problems are reported left and right, maybe I should do
something about it. I don't know much about the debian-installer, for the
boot-floppies we have an amiga-fdisk-bf package, which does not require
libreadline4, can't we use this package instead of amiga-fdisk?

libreadline4: is it a bug that it was removed from debootstrap, or is it a
bug that amiga-fdisk needs it? I know there is a problem with libreadline4
not be of priority required, my favorite solution would be to make
libreadline4 required, would it be included in debootstrap then?

Another solution might be to create an amiga-fdisk udeb, with or without
libreadline4, but I don't know if that would help in making sure that a full
featured amiga-fdisk (ie using libreadline4) would be installed on the
system after the installation has finished.

I will try to release an amiga-fdisk package that fixes most of these
problems, any suggestions, hints to create a udeb, if needed, welcome.

Christian