Failed PowerPC install

I recently tried installing Sarge via the netinst image (file date
2003-10-08) on my 900 MHz G3 iBook. Some comments:
1) When I wasn't connected to the network, dhcp took a long time to
   time out. In the meantime, nothing was displayed on the screen.
   This should be changed: at least a message "Trying to gain an
   IP address. Please plug in an ethernet cable" would have helped.
2) After first set-up, I was dumped into pfdisk. No problem, as I
   then partitioned the free space on my disk into various bits for
   Linux.
   However, later I was asked to "Automatically partition my disk."
   This seems counter-productive - I want to keep OS X on my machine -
   so I answered no. However, apparently kernel install depends on
   having run the automatic partition (or something else, which
   failed.)
   I tried re-running installation of base, and debootstrap returned
   an error code. I guess it's not idempotent; however, after that
   I was utterly unable to proceed. I gave up and went back into OS X.

Please CC replies to me.

--
Joe Drew <hoserhead@woot.net> <drew@debian.org>

My weblog doesn't detail my personal life: http://me.woot.net