Re: sarge netinst with PCMCIA ethernet fails to install modules

Brian Dessent wrote:
> Hello, I'm trying to use the sarge netinst mini-CD to install Debian on
> a laptop that has a PCMCIA cardbus ethernet adaptor.  The problem that
> I'm having is that while the first stage installer can recognise and
> activate the PCMCIA ethernet card, it fails to install the kernel
> modules for it, so that after rebooting and loading the new kernel from
> the HD, the card is not recognised and the network install cannot
> continue.

Our pcmcia support is still very incomplete, so I'm glad to hear it
worked at all. The problem with pcmcia not being installed is a known
bug, #214492, though it may not include the detail below:

> The base system that gets installed contains the pcmcia-cs package and
> the kernel-image-2.4.22-1-386 package (obviously), but NOT the
> pcmcia-modules-2.4.22-1-386 package.

I plan to reogranise the pcmcia support so it fits in better with the
rest of the installer, but I may not have a chance to get around to
doing this for a while.

--
see shy jo