Re: problems with debian

On Wed, Oct 22, 2003 at 10:39:20AM +0000, david lorenzo wrote:
> Hello, Iam trying to install debian from a cd i got from a magazine but i
> am not very good at linux so i dont know if it is me who is not installing
> it properly.
>
> The problem is that i get to install it and when i choose what to install
> with tasksel i cannot pick any X-Window-System from the menu and so i think
> i am not installing properly any desktop environment and it never starts
> with gnome or kde though i know i have configure gnome2 (i upgraded it from
> another cd). The further i get is that debian tries to run gnome (after
> upgrading to gnome2) but it says something like "X-Window is not configure,
> do you want to configure now?" I pick yes but it doesnt do anything.
>
> Another problem i had during installation is that the locales in the cd (i
> guess they are not very well), i cannot choose anyone of them. So that when
> i finished installation my keyboard doesnt work properly and debian keeps
> saying all the time "keyboard unknown scancode" or something like that.
>

> I really appreciate your help because i wrote to the magazine telling them
> the problems and they havent helped. Thankyou very much for your time.
>
> david

Please write to debian-user@lists.debian.org instead. This list is for
problems with the installer and development of the new installer, and
you are actually beyond the point of system installation.

One thing, though: to reconfigure X, the command is

dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
  By the People, For the People