Re: (not so) proper install report

stappers@stappers.nl (Geert Stappers) writes:

> On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 12:43:00PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> > Geert Stappers wrote:
> > >
> > > Yes I did a net install.
> >
> > So net installs are working, cd installs are broken because it tries to
> > install busybox-udeb which it should not install at all, and it installs
> > it before lbic-udeb. Maybe the cd-retreiver is broken then.
> >
> Can it be hardware detect error?
>
> I had problems with finding the harddisc, CD and HD were on ide bus.

We seem to have tracked this down completly now.

ftp.debian.org uses sid override files, which are in order.

debian-cd only knows about potato, woody and sarge. The D-I image are
build from sarge. But there is no override.sarge.main.debian-installer.gz.
Combined with the wrong Priority in the busybox-udeb this results in
busybox on debian-cd cdroms being pulled in.

That explains why it gets pulled in.

And why does it break?

Anna wants to install busybox-udeb and happily unpacks it. Then it
resolves the dependencies and tries to unpack those and fails. Why?

Busybox-udeb depends on a older libc6 and isn't considered when
reducing libc6. Since its unpacked, unconfigured and doesn't have its
dependencies yet its borken. All hell breaks lose.

Anna could unpack dependencies first to handle this case but it has
been pointed out on irc that updating busybox on the initrd is
probably never needed nor wanted.

MfG
        Goswin

PS: Quick fix to this is just plain removing the useless busybox-udeb