Re: PowerPC people please test the new build code

Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I checked in a branch with my proposed new naming scheme. The branch
> name is mrvn.
>
> Someone please check it out and type "cd build; make". You can adjust
> the host used to rsync udeb from in the Makefile, currently its
> ftp.debian.org.

Why are you changing it to use rsync and not apt? Wouldn't that make the
build always need network connectivity to run rsync? If I have an apt
cache with all udebs, I can use the current build tree while I am
offline. If this were not possible, I would not be able to work on the
installer. What about the eventual goal (stated in TODO in the current
tree) of pulling in library dependencies? Rsync would seem to defeat
that too.

And there's nothing stopping someone who really wants to from setting up
apt to use rsync as its underlying transport. Patches already exist.
Seems pointless though; the transfers needed to do builds are maneagable
even on dialup without rsync.

--
see shy jo