di-main-menu won't start?

using the netboot-initrd from today's (the 13'th) build on gluck, the tty1
screen keeps clearing, and displaying the "can't load module vesafb"
error. I've traced this to the fact that /sbin/di-main-menu is exiting
immediately. I can't tell what, if any  errors it's displaying on
it's stdout since it clears the screen, and the installer environment
doesn't include a less or cat -v.

The following things end up in syslog:
DEBUG: install cdebconf-udeb, dependency from languagechooser
WARNING: *** package modutils-basic don't exists
WARNING: *** libc don't exists
DEBUG: install discover-udeb, dependency from hw-detect

other packages in DEBUG lines:
discover-data-udeb
hw-detect
console-keymaps-usb
console-keymaps
configured-network
floppy-retriever
retriever

other packages in WARNING lines:
libdebconfclient0
libdebian-installer4
dhcp-client-udeb
libc-udeb
di-utils

The last line, just after the di-utils warning is
INFO: Falling back to the package description for anna

then linuxrc restarts /sbin-debian installer

help?