Re: Debian-installer report (i386, translations, logics...)

Christian Perrier wrote:
> OK, now for the report. I will sort this module by module.....This is
> INCOMPLETE as I didn't test all d-i modules. I'm not sure of all
> module exact names, so I guess you'll see what I mean.
>
> Some stuff could probably be filed as bugs against the offending
> modules. I may of course do it....or feel free to do it if you want.
> (writing this after writing all that follows : I probably should file
> bugs... :-))

Here are all the module names. Perhaps some of the translation issues could
just be fixed in cvs without a bug report, but the other things call for
a bug report. It would be good if you could do it, but if you can't let
me know and I will.

> MAINMENU :
> Several items are unstranslated. This is probably due to fuzzy strings
> for the french translation of modules as they are included in
> unstable. Would be better to test with all CVS versions.

main-menu

> LANGUAGECHOOSER :
>
> The language order seems to be random. Hungarian first, then
> australian english, indian english, USA english, UK english,
> hebrew....
>
> French on the second page, I don't like this.. :-)

language-chooser

> NETCFG
>
> I made my first test with no interface working as my laptop was
> disconnected with eth0 down (and then VMWare having NO network
> interface).
>
> The very first screen then after languagechoose is a screen about
> "DHCP network configuration".
> It says that no interface was detected and that "Go back to Configure
> network hardware" or somehting like this (it was translated).
>
> As I, at this point, never went to the main menu, this looked quite strange.

netcfg

> DISKPART
>
> Main screen in french :
> "Veuillez choisir le disque que vous souhaitez partitionner" (title)
> "Veuillez choisir l'un de ces disque pour y créer..."
>
> Finish (last choice) is not translated
>
> We should probably change the french translation as it is obviously
> repetitive.

partitioner

> After the cfdisk operations, ne screen is not erased, so the debconf
> screen is displayed "over" the last cfdisk screen. This may be a
> display glitch on my system, however.

This may be related to a bug I just filed, if you are using the
frame buffer.

> CHOOSEMIRROR
>
> French translation :
> Au lieu de "Utiliser un miroir depuis quel pays?" mettre "Pays du miroir à utiliser"
> Remplacer "saisissez" par "indiquez"
> Mettre plutôt "Choix de la distribution" en court ou pas de titre du
> tout! Pour l'instant, il y a
> "Choisissez la distribution à installer" (titre) quivi de
> "Veuillez choisir..."
>

> The country names are unstranslated. Is this specific to french or is
> the corresponding "Choices" list not marked for translation ?

choose-mirror

> KBDCHOOSER
>
> Keyboard names are unstranslated

kbd-chooser

> GENERAL STUFF
>
> There seems to be a logic error somewhere. As I sometimes had no
> network during my tests, I had  a failure for the "Release" file
> download after choosemirror.
>
> This failure then triggers an error screen. Fine. Unfortunately, this
> screen then always shows up before one comes back to the main menu,
> even when coming from another module. Quite boring.. :-)

Sounds like a bug in anna, not sure.

> Some modules seem to use "db_title" from debconf for setting up menu
> titles. This is probably not a good idea as this may not be translated
> yet (I intent to file a BR for this against debconf if making this
> translatable appears to be feasible)
>
> For instance the "choosemirror" screens all have a "Choose mirror"
> title, which obviously looks strange when stuff below is translated.

We are in the process of making that translatable, but it requires
updates to everything that uses the old title command.

--
see shy jo