Re: free space on the floppies

Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> [2003-09-27 23:17]:
> > System stats for usbfloppy
>
> Where can I find those images?

That one has been retired in hopes of cramming it all onto the
single bootfloppy. I am waiting on a new kernel from Herbert Xu.

> > System stats for cdrom
> > Free space: -495k
>
> This sucks.  usb-storage-modules (plus scsi-core-modules) is really
> needed on the cdrom since laptops w/o built-in CD drive (but USB CD)
> are very common these days.

After posting that mail I dropped the scsi support. "Real" scsi cd users
will have to load a driver floppy but at least it fits, and we have 834k
free.

I am behind on my email, I did not know that scsi-core-modules had been
uploaded yet (it's what I was waiting on for the boot floppy too). Hmm,
I still don't see it. With that we should be able to fit usb storage
support back on the cd.

FWIW, more up-to-date versions of the stats are at
http://people.debian.org/~sjogren/d-i/images/daily/stats.txt

Speaking of size, I recently doubled the size of the image for netboot.
It was full. What are the limits there, and should we try to keep the
netboot image as small as possible, not at a multiple of n floppies in
size, to reduce network transfer time?

--
see shy jo