Re: "fset seen" issues

Steinar H. Gunderson wrote:
> Joey and I had a discussion on IRC today, and we agreed on what we think is a
> relatively sane way to handle the "fset seen" issues:
>
> No package should "fset seen=false" unless it has a very good reason -- that
> is, it has to show some critical error message or such. However, there are
> also situations where a user might really want to change his/her mind about
> some choice -- that is, when selecting a menu item for the second time. This
> is more or less equivalent to "dpkg-reconfigure <package>", which could and
> should be treated specially.
>
> So, the proposal is: When main-menu sees that a user selects a menu item for
> the second time, it sets some kind of debconf variable (say,
> "debconf/reconfiguring" to "true") which makes cdebconf ignore all seen flags
> (the priority stays the same). This eliminates the need for udebs to fset
> seen=false manually, which is an ugly hack anyhow :-)
>
> Note that this would also require proper handling of backing up by cdebconf,
> but once that is in place, it should also be a lot cleaner than the scripts
> manually setting seen flags all over the place. :-)
>
> Comments, anybody? Something I missed? :-)

I think this will make things a lot cleaner, and even save space in some
circumastances.

Of course, we could probably also manage to hack around the two bugs
that are blocking noninteractive installs. See my mail to #211063 (it
should do as I suggest anyway, even with the new system); and it's
probably fine to do as suggested in #211069. Since this is a large
change, we might want to put it off until after the release.

--
see shy jo