Re: d-i minimum system requirements

Am 2003-09-25 11:40:09, schrieb Drew Scott Daniels:
>Arg, resending...
>
>     Drew Daniels

>Hi,
>I was wondering if there was any speculation on what the minimum system
>requirements for d-i are.
>
>Is 4MB, 8MB, 12MB enough ram? How close are things to any real RAM limit?

 4 MByte:	Try the old good SLINK with the LowMem-Disks
 8 MByte:	Will work with SLINK LowMem-Disks too
12 MByte:	Yea, SLINk Srandard Floppys are working.
		The POTATO LowMem will do too.
16 MByte:	POTATO and WOODY with standard Disks will work...
		(Dont Ask about the Speed of installation)

I have installed WOODY 3.0r1 on a Toschiba T1950CT with 66 MHz and 12 MB
of Memory and 340 MB Hard-Disk. Syslinux does not work so I have made a
Dos-Partition of 3 MByte with the modified Win95b-Bootdisk (I like this
Floppy with loadlin and rawread) to put MS-DOS 7.02, loadlin.exe, linux
and the root.bin onto it.

Used the bf4.2 Disks. The Laptop is fully suported with this Disks ;-)

Installed the 4 Drivers-Disks from Floppy. Configurung the Modules is
the hell with 12 MByte of memory !!!

Done this I have downloaded via PCMCIA-NIC (3c589-D) the 'base' from my
Workstation whitch have a full Debian-Mirror.

Dont ask about the time consumed !!! - Around 5 hours to install the
Basedebs !!!

>The current kernel used should make d-i usable on a 386 and newer for ia32
>arches due to math emulation being turned on?

Now, - You crazzy horse ask about 386 ???

OK, 386 Computers support only 16 MB of Memory !!! Even you have a fast
40 MHz CPU it will be the Hell !!!

Installing a small Modem/ISDN-Router on a 486 Machine in a resonabel time
need 32 MByte of memory to install and 16 MByte of memory for working.

I think, the installation of SARGE with the d-i reqires minimal 16 MByte
of memory and a CPU 486dx4/100.

>Does the installer require a CD-ROM drive or a network connection? I.e.

It works from Floppy... (CD is optional)

>does the cd install work, and can one install via floppy disks? If it is
>possible to install via floppy disks, what is the minimum requirements for
>the disks? Single sided, single density?

HD - 1.68 MByte

>Can anna recover from download failures? High latency, corrupted packets,
>low bandwidth are still issues that users deal with these days... although

??? - Where Do you live ???
In Africa ??? Last Place in Congo ??? (Nice holliday here)
Or do you install via Cell-Phone and 9600 BpS ???
;-)

>What other minimum requirements are there?

Around 20 US$ an internet connection and an eBay-Account
<http://www.ebay.com/> to get a resonabel Computer...

>I'll look at doing some testing on Boches again once I have time.
>
>     Drew Daniels

Greetings from Strasbourg
Michelle

--