Re: Installer report

On Fri, Sep 26, 2003 at 08:03:32AM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> > This isn't really an issue, since when d-i is finished, we can run with
> > priority high, which won't display the main menu. For now, we want to keep
> > it at medium for debugging reasons.
>
> How will a language be chosen then? You mean the default installer
> will be English-only and will require _no_ user interaction?
> Or just that the language chooser will always be presented first
> (priority=low) without a main menu choice being necessary?

The questions that languagechooser is asking are asked at priority high or
critical, I don't remember which, but main-menu is at priority medium, so
if we set debconf/priority to "high", languagechooser's questions will be
asked, but the main-menu will never be visible.

> I think there will be many users who want or need to use the main
> menu, but do not understand English. It would be better if the
> language chooser was always presented first, and not as a choice from
> the main menu; then the main menu can be presented in the user's
> language.

It will.

> I think this even makes sense from a purely aesthetic point of
> view. As a boot-floppies user, I felt like a world citizen when I was
> presented with a list of choices in a dozen different languages. It
> speaks directly but subtly to the idea that here is an operating
> system that tries to cross all national boundaries and be globally
> useful.

d-i will do the same. :)

/Martin
--