install problems

I am a total newbie with debian. I did some things with redhat and suse
before. But  in general I am just a curious linuxfan, because I feel that
microsoft monoculture is unhealthy for my mind and wallet.

I am trying to get a fully functional debian system, but I get several
corrupt packages and several are not available from mirrors.pandora.be, the
mirror of my ISP (www.telenet.be).
I did not tell them this (yet, but I think they wont do many effort, I guess
I am not the first person who has this problem).

gdm can't start and doesn't seem possible to be fix itself... unless,... by
rerunning taksel or dselect?
Lynx didn't even start initially when I selected mirrors.pandora.be at
install but after rerunning base-config with more servers, it works now.

It seems that dselect on it's own cannot retrieve a list of mirrors like the
install program does (/usr/sbin/base-config)
It seems that when I select multiple mirrors from within "base-config",
package download is distributed over different mirrorservers but corrupted
packages are  not reretrieved from other servers.

I am now going to exclude mirrors.pandora.be from the downloadlist and try
again.

I think that it would be usefull to have a tool in  the
apt/apt-get/taksel/dselect package that polls servers for best download
speed before install and automacly selects the 4 or 5 or more best resulting
servers for download. Maybe simple snmp tools like ping could be used for
this or ospf or rip state. something like md5 checksums for  downloaded
packages and automatic reretrieval form other mirrors in case of checksum
fail would also be usefull.
You might say: you're welcome in our developers site :-) Maybe later when I
know something more about Debian and C.

Further some less important stuff, I seem not able to compile my network
card drivers in the kernel.
I tried 2 different 3com from the 3c9xx series:
3C918 integrated ethernet controller (3C905-TX compatible)
Etherlink XL PCI COMBO NIC (3C900-COMBO)
Maybe I need to give kernel parameters?

Both cards are correctly probed further in the installation program though.
I can use each of them for install by FTP.

Thanks for any help or cooperative thougth.

Joost Ringoot
email: joost@ringoot.org
website: http://joost.ringoot.org/