Re: Always use UTF-8 when running base-config?

Hi,

Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com> wrote:
(2003/09/14 23:34)

>My idea is to use the same terminal wrapper for all languages, to make
>sure it is well tested, and to make sure we only need to include one
>terminal wrapper for all languages, instead of several for different
>languages.

It is basically a good idea.  However, when I said "we need test",
I meant that softwares which run on the terminal in UTF-8 locales
should be tested.

>Is it equally slow when not using VMWare?  I've never tested it on
>real HW.

When I used bogl-bterm with i386 machine (faster than 1GHz), I
felt it was very slow.  If the installation process meets scrolling
of the screen, I think bogl-bterm is too slow.  I don't know about
VMWare nor other architectures.

>How much would we need to include to get jfbterm working in the first
>stage?  I noticed that it supports UTF-8 by using iconv.  If I'm not
>mistaken, iconv uses large tables to convert charsets.  I hope we
>don't need to include these on the floppy.

Jfbterm doesn't need iconv() for UTF-8.  Jfbterm's encodings support
is based on X11's fonts, i.e., it supports encodings which has their
own X fonts.  For example, when *-iso8859-1 fonts available, jfbterm
can support ISO-8859-1 without iconv table.  Other encodings are
supported via iconv.

Bogl-bterm is based on different policy.  It uses Unicode fonts only.
All other encodings are supported via system's locale database to
convert from/to Unicode.

In the first stage, UTF-8 is the only encoding which is used.  In this
case, Unicode font is the only needed thing both for jfbterm and
bogl-bterm.

IMO, the work we will have to do is to construct a "reduced" font
for jfbterm for the first stage.  I imagine such a font will be based
on unifont.

How about the second stage?  In the second stage, which packages can
we expect to be available?  For example, how about xfonts-base,
locales,
unifont, and so on?

If various encodings are to be used in the second stage, jfbterm will
need either iconv tables or various fonts.  bogl-bterm will need
various
locale database.  I think both will need comparable amount of data.
Even if we will decide to use UTF-8 for the second stage, we will need
non-reduced version of the Unicode font.

>> BTW, how about using jfbterm instead of bogl-bterm for the first
>> stage?  Jfbterm is much faster than bogl-bterm.  It supports UTF-8
>> (without combining character support -- is it needed?).
>
>Make a jfbterm-udeb, so we can test it. :)

How do you think, Ukai-san?

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>