Some help to help

Hi,
lately I spent some spare time tryin' to understand how d-i works; I
downloaded it, read the documentation and tried to play with it. I got in
touch with the italian team responsable for the translation and translated a
few po files myself. I'd like to get involved with the developement/test
since I'm a programmer and I think I should have the required skills to give
my contribution.
I find really hard to get started: I understand that the priority is having
something working as soon as possible (i.e. concentrate in the developement)
but I think the documentation available at the moment lacks of some
important things.
I wanted to try a "make test" but I didn't know that you have to be in a sid
chroot to do that. Now I got it working but last night I tried to compile a
few components (main-menu, anna) and I couldn't compile with gcc 3.3.x ... I
could inside woody with 2.95.4 (after some fixes in the makefile) but I
cuoldn't link against libdebconfclient...

So I wonder if anyone could drop a few lines just to explain basic things...
another example: how do you guys debug d-i? a few tricks you find convenient

Thank for your help

Davide