Re: debian installer on ppc/pegasos

On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 11:27:59PM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 27, 2003 at 05:44:45PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:

> It is where the console is used the first time.
> (other message where "kprint", "printk?" ( kernel print))
>
> These symptooms occured to me when I hadn't "virtual console"
> in the kernel. FYI, that was in the 2.0 kernel days.

Apart from enabling devfs and embedding the initrd, this is the same
kernel i normally run (2.4.21 linuxppp_2_4 branch + some pegasos
specific early booting stuff which should not influence anything).

> > > A couple of boot arguments to try, may do something, and won't hurt:
> > >
> > > debug verbose
> >
> > Nope, nothing more. I think it is definitively related to the 206531
> > bug.
>

> I think it is catch 22  ;-)
>
> The booting computer assumes it can print, but it can't.
>

> Check for valid console  (/dev/tty ? /dev/console ?)

Nope, no such thing, my /dev is empty in the cdrom.initrd. So, this must
be the problem, i think.

May it be related to not having devfs enabled in the kernel building the
initrd ?

BTW, when i enable devfs, linux doesn't seem to like the /dev/hd* kind
of devices. Is there a way of solving this without using the ugly devfs
harddisk devices ?

Thanks for your attention, i think we are making headway here.

Friendly,

Sven LUther