Re: i18n of tasksel (and cdebconf)

Hi,

From: Petter Reinholdtsen <pere@hungry.com>
Subject: Re: i18n of tasksel (and cdebconf)
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 09:05:39 +0200

> cdebconf is showing these translations at install time, if
> rootskel-locale and languagechooser modules are included in d-i.  And
> most of the d-i modules are using po-debconf, so your problem must be
> something else.  How are you testing it?

I found the reason.  My test was like follwoing:

 1. Install libcdebconfclient0 and cdebconf.  Or compile them
    from CVS version.
 2. Invoke "sudo dpkg-reconfigure language-env".
 3. Many "Unknown localized field:" error messages appeared.

I found that cdebconf requires translated templates to have
".UTF-8" in the field names.  For example, "sudo dpkg-reconfigure ssh"
doesn't show such error messages.

Is it enough for cdebconf to support only UTF-8?  I mean, isn't
it used for ordinary packages, though debian-installer-related
packages might be carefully built to have ".UTF-8" templates?

It also doesn't support non-UTF-8 output.  For example,
  (on UTF-8 terminal) LANGUAGE=ja LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 dpkg-reconfigure ssh
works well while
  (on EUC-JP terminal) LANGUAGE=ja LANG=ja_JP.eucJP dpkg-reconfigure ssh
doesn't work.  Is it OK?  Terminals such as "kon2" and "jfbterm"
don't support UTF-8.

BTW, I didn't think about possibility that the debian-installer
doesn't use internationalized terminal which can display (for
example) Japanese characters.  If Japanese characters cannot be
displayed (by using bogl-bterm, jfbterm, and so on), Japanese
translations will never be useful.

This problem is not limited to Japanese.  Since Korean, Chinese,
Russian, Greek, and so on are affected by this problem, Japanese-
specific solution is not very good, I think.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/