tried sarge-i386-netinst

hi

I downloaded
 http://gluck.debian.org/cdimage/testing/netinst/i386/sarge-i386-netinst.iso
from
 http://people.debian.org/~mbc/di.html
a week ago; today I tried it.

I was trying to install sarge inside a big /scratch partition (no
partitioning and no mkfs were needed) in a PC were I already have
Debian.  The PC is at home, where no network (decent) connection is
available.

Here is what happened (note: what follows is approximate,
because I took brief paper sketches)

 --

I booted the the CD, allright, and were confronted with first menu,
asking for langagues and keyboards; but, when I tried to change the

then I went to "load installer modules" and I loaded console-keymaps-at

then I said "go on"

then it switched to a more complex menu

I chose US keyboard.

then "detect CDROM $ mount"

then "detect network" -> and I found it impossible to do "go back"
so I hitted "detect DHCP" and after a while ctrl-c

then "load installer modules" -> "cdrom retrieval"

then "detect hardware"

then "configure partitions & mount"
and I choosed a partition  ( which is /scratch in my current
Debian everyday life) as / ; but when I hit "finalize"
I was confronted with a terrifing message, saying
"will destroy all data you have assigned filesystems to"
 so I gave up

so I went to the option "Mount/Umount (OLD)"
and mounted it manually
(and here again "go back" does not work)

but then I could not understand which is the right way to install the
base system from the CDROM

I tried "mount the CDROM" and "choose a mirror" a few times, with no
good effect: I was only given the choice of using an external network mirror

a.

 --- Summary

on the whole, I am missing a feature of the old boot-floppies menu:
the menu would each time automatically select a sensible
choice for the next task to be done; this is not the case
with debian-installer; so the d-i seems a bit more difficult
(and would probably be a bit scary for the lee-user);

IMHO it would be important to have a "advanced mode" and
a "basic mode", and , in "basic mode", only show the (very few)
options that the user may most probably need to select at each given
step of installation

another thing that I noticed is that in many cases the option "go
back" is not usable

3rd: the message "will destroy all data you have assigned filesystems to"
is too scary, and should be replaced with something more informative such as
"will destroy data in partition(s).... and will write data in partitions..."

a.

--
Andrea Mennucc
 "E' un mondo difficile. Che vita intensa!" (Tonino Carotone)