Multiple problems on woody->sarge upgrade path

Perhaps these are temporary problems, but I've had two
showstoppers on upgrading on an IBM Thinkpad T22.

The first item I worked around just by disabling the
script. I had a devil of a time tracking it down through
the rcS boot phase...

* screen-cleanup changes the video mode back to normal
  from the value given in my lilo.conf of vga=6

I've not dug into it further yet to see *why* it does
this dastardly deed.

The second is real bad... but perhaps is just a temporary
X server version disaster? The XF86Config-4 file was
unchanged and worked fine, now it looks like frequencies
are out of whack, ie multiple overlapping copies of a
screen... and for some reason there are multiple hazy
images of an IBM Logo in them... Not even xf86cfg can
get an X screen up. Has anyone else had their Thinkpad
X blown out of the water by a woody->sarge upgrade?

Any suggestions on a work around? I'm going to give it
a couple more hours and then I'll have to downgrade.