Re: di & net-initrd & powerpc (POWER3)

> Rolf Brudeseth wrote:
>

> > I got the 'net-initrd' image for powerpc from:
> > http://www.soziologie.ch/users/steinlin/d-i/
> >
> > I try to run it on an IBM 44P-170; however, it goes into an infinite
> loop:
> >

> > ~snip
> > Cannot open template file /var/lib/cdebconf/templates.dat
> > Cannot open template file /var/lib/cdebconf/templates.dat
> > Cannot open question file /var/lib/cdebconf/questions.dat
> > readlink: /proc/self/fd/0: No such file or directory
> > Cannot open template file /var/lib/cdebconf/templates.dat
> > Cannot open question file /var/lib/cdebconf/questions.dat
> > Cannot open template file /var/lib/cdebconf/templates.dat
> > ~snip
> >

> > I guess it is because the 'templates.dat' and 'questions.dat' files are
> > missing?
> These two files should be created automatically. The message is a bit
> missleading because it should better say "Could not open foo, created
> new foo."
> I think your problem may be related to the missing /proc/self/fd/0,
> probably /proc is not mounted. I had similar problems if the kernel
> module unix.o did not load.

Is the path above related to floppy? I am not using floppy.
I am booting my own POWER3 zImage from a DHCP server and mounting your net-initrd through NFS:

0> boot net:server_ip,,client_ip console=ttyS0,9600n8 root=/dev/nfs
   nfsroot=server_ip:/path ip=client_ip:server_ip

> You have to use not only net-initrd.gz but
> also the vmlinux kernel on my website.

I am using my own zImage. First, vmlinux can not be booted over the network.
I do not know if this is a IBM pSeries issue. Second, my image needs to be compiled for POWER3.

> You can not build your own
> kernel because then symbols will not match those of the kernel modules
> on the initrd. If you need to use a custom kernel you will also have to
> build your own installer image.

Without understanding the technical issues, the first question that comes to mind is: Why?
I have never had this problem with installers such as boot-floppies.

Would you be kind enough to compile a zImage and a vmlinux POWER3 image and put it on your web site.
Then I can test di on POWER3 based systems. Thanks!

> You also have to make sure, that the first process executed is /linuxrc
> and not /sbin/init. If you use another booting method than my yaboot
> with yaboot.conf you have to supply "init=/linuxrc" as boot parameter.
> It seems a little bit strange but in some cases the kernel does not
> start /linuxrc itself on an initrd if /sbin/init is also present
> eventhough I think it should call /linuxrc in any case on initial ramdisks.
>
> But probably someone else on debian-boot or debian-powerpc will know
> more about this problem.
>
> gaudenz
> >
> > # ls -Rla /export/di/root_fs/var/lib/cdebconf
> > /export/di/root_fs/var/lib/cdebconf:
> > total 0
> > drwxrwxrwx    4 root     root          112 1969-12-31 18:00 .
> > drwxrwxrwx    5 root     root          128 1969-12-31 18:00 ..
> > drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root           48 1969-12-31 18:00 questions
> > drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root           48 1969-12-31 18:00 templates
> >
> > /export/di/root_fs/var/lib/cdebconf/questions:
> > total 0
> > drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root           48 1969-12-31 18:00 .
> > drwxrwxrwx    4 root     root          112 1969-12-31 18:00 ..
> >
> > /export/di/root_fs/var/lib/cdebconf/templates:
> > total 0
> > drwxrwxrwx    2 root     root           48 1969-12-31 18:00 .
> > drwxrwxrwx    4 root     root          112 1969-12-31 18:00 ..
> >

> > If this is the problem, how do I obtain/create these files?
> >
> > Rolf
> >
> > --
> > Rolf Brudeseth
> > rolfb@us.ibm.com
> > pSeries System Engineering & Integration, IBM Enterprise Systems Group
> > Austin, TX

Rolf

--
Rolf Brudeseth