d-i CDs

I have two things I want to discuss.

1)
We're using isolinux on CD#1. This means that for the bioses that
support it, we get a nice boot prompt and we're able to pick kernel and
initrd at boot time instead of at build time. It also means we're
considerably less restrained in size of the initrd.

Since this doesn't work on all hardware, the cdrom-2880.img is used for
booting CD#2.

This leads us to two things:
a) The images (or in case of CD#1, the initrd) can be different, we can
put more stuff on the initrd for CD#1.
b) The images *should* be different! The image that boots from CD#2
should inform the user that after they've booted, they need to reinsert
CD#1 before continuing, since we don't want to put the udebs and base
debs on every CD in the set. (right?)

Should we, then invent new targets? Instead of just 'cdrom', should we
have 'cdrom-initrd' and 'cdrom2880'? Should 'cdrom2880' contain a
insert-cd-no-1-udeb? ;)

2)
Netinst CDs. The way they work right now is kind of cumbersome, since
they, too, use the 2.88M cdrom image. I'm pondering, since it's much
more common that CDs can boot from 2.88M images than floppy drives,
can't we just take the 1.44M net image, expand it to 2.88M and put that
on a CD? We could fit all the NIC drivers and other goodies, perhaps
even i18n, on it. This means that it wouldn't mount the CD at all, it
would pull everything from the net. However, the CD would probably still
be about 25M in size, what with all the docs and tools the -cd people
want to put on it... :) Maybe we could trim that down, though, with the
argument that this is just to emulate a larger floppy 'cause PCs suck...
;)

Comments, anyone?

/Martin

PS: has anyone looked into booting off USB memory sticks?
--
Martin Sjögren
  sjogren@debian.org -- marvin@dum.chalmers.se