Re: Website suggestion

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 03:23:03AM -0700, Ander F wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't know if I'm writing to the right person,
> but...
>
> I'm a first-time Linux user. After learning about the
> various distros, and the versions of Debian, I decided
> to install Sarge (Testing). I downloaded the Sarge
> ISO's and burned them to CD.
>
> When I booted from CD 1, the setup program was
> completely different from the one described in your
> installation manual and the Debian book I have.
>
> After spending several hours attempting to use the
> setup program, and scouring the Net for advice, I
> found a newsgroup post from a similarly baffled Sarge
> installer. The reply: "Sarge isn't for first-time
> installers. Install Woody."
>
> Why is nothing said about this on the Debian website?
> Wouldn't it save new users a lot of time and
> frustration?

Mmmm, simple question, though answer.

Most important is that there are more users then new users.
The "old" users are building the Sarge installer.
It is being build to be used. It doesn't make sense
to say now "don't try it" and next week "please try it"

There is also the good habit in the Free software community
to release early and to release often.
That includes releasing to first/new users.
There will be a day that they grow up.

> Wonderingly,  Andy

Hope This Helps,
Geert Stappers