Re: Re: about a full disk...

(Please retain the cc to the list, so the complete discussion appears there)

On Wed, May 07, 2003 at 07:23:32PM +0200, Daniel Germer wrote:
> > Did you mount all of the partitions during installation, and tell the
> > installer which ones were to be mounted where? Probably your two
> > larger partitions are empty, and everything has been installed into
> > your root partition; you can tell by booting back into the installer
> > using the rescue floppy, and looking at the results of df in a shell.
>

> I have tried to boot from the rescue floppy, but it brought me back to a repeating screen of
> ... will be disabled for 5 minutes because tried respawning too fast,
> and then tries to write something onto the disk but finds no space, repeats this...

The rescue floppy does not access the hard disk, you must be
using the boot floppy. You might need to make a rescue floppy
on another computer, if CD booting doesn't work.

> how do I get a shell to enter df?

Check out the install manual, you can use the Execute a Shell menu item,
or Ctrl-F2.

> this happens when I am booting from rescue floppy or from hda,
> if I am booting from cd 1 of the woody distribution, I get to a white screen with a curser, but it does not accept any commands or input although I can write and see my letters appear on screen.
> if I just leave the white screen (with the cdrom in the drive, it will try to mount cdrom and makes very ugly noises, I can only switch the computer on, and reboot with ctrl-alt-delete

Did you use CD 1 to install originally? Try CD 4, the syslinux boot
selector may not work on your machine, and CD 4 has a built-in idepci
image.

--
Debian GNU/Linux Operating System
By the People, For the People