dbootstrap exited with an error (return value 1)

Hi Debian Developers,
I'm new in Debian - Linux system. I'm trying to
install it in my old PC with an Ethernet connection
via ISA card. I downloaded the rescue/root/drivers
diquetes and in a first try I was unable to configure
the net, so I also downoloaded the 20 base-system
disquetes and I successfully instaled the minimal
base-system. But afterwards I was unable to make the
net work (probably due to ignorance).
After learning a bit more about my net-card I started
again, instaled the root system and configured the
network, so I was able to download the full
base-system via ftp. After the full system is
downloaded the installer exits with this error
message:

dbootstrap exited with an error (return value 1)

after accepting the message it suggests that the
base-system is installed again which lead me to the
same error. I've been fighting with this "error" for
a week and I find no solution.
(it looks like it is related to the network
configuration but ????)
Could anybody give me a hint to solve it.
 Thanks a lot.
 Leopoldo