Re: Net image far too big

On 16 Apr 2003 21:47:26 +0200
Wouter Verhelst <wouter@grep.be> wrote:

> Op wo 16-04-2003, om 17:59 schreef Glenn McGrath:
> > > We should change to a higher density, we could switch to 1680kB
> > > and expect compatability everywhere, that will give us another
> > > 124kB of breathing space as well.

> Sure. But that requires you to reformat your floppy disks. Rawrite.exe
> won't like that, for example, so I think this is a bad idea.

Correct, rawrite.exe doesnt work for 1680kB images, a shareware program
called winimage is needed, but i doubt users would object to using a
shareware program if they are already using windows and dont have a unix
machine available.

I did read one email on the linuxrouter mailing list about a 1680kB
image not booting on a pentium 60, i imagine it was a bios problem.
Another article mentioned problems using 1680kB on 386's due to the poor
quality of hardware back then. Other than that every article i read said
they should be just as reliable as 1440.

I think going to 1680kB is better than splitting to a seperate
boot/root.

Better still would be fixing the floppy retriever, but there are
technical hurdles there regarding dependencies.

Glenn