Re: net image full

sön 2003-03-30 klockan 14.09 skrev Alastair McKinstry:

> On Sun, 2003-03-30 at 11:16, Martin Sjögren wrote:
> > sön 2003-03-30 klockan 11.49 skrev Alastair McKinstry:
> > > chroot is used in a bunch of code - the lilo, grub code etc
install lilo
> > > on /target then run chroot /target /sbin/lilo
> > > similarly for a lot of prebaseconfig stuff. It could be removed
from the
> > > initial floppy, however.
> >
> > Exactly, that'd be in the stage1 udeb (stage0 being everything up
until
> > anna runs, stage1 being the rest of d-i and stage2 being
base-config, in
> > my terminology)
> >
> > > chroot and telnet are useful for fixing problems with net: eg
config
> > > issues on the server - telnet in (ssh would be better, but too
big) and
> > > solve them, (eg adding an address to a bootp server), then
proceed.

> > Uh. I really don't see what you would need to fix with telnet on a
net
> > floppy that doesn't require the network to be up...
> >
> > > telnetd, I can't think of why thats there; was someone planning on
doing
> > > installs remotely via telnetting into the client from the server
???

> > Sounds extremely far-fetched.
> >
> Yes; it was just a guess. Thorsten Sauter has a better explanation (in
> personal email): apparently its needed for s390, as it doesn't have a
> local console. The boot process starts telnetd, and you proceed by
> telnetting into it...
>
> He's arguing for two busyboxes, a mninimal one for initial boot, and a
> second one for second stage.
>
> > > We should also think of what we need for a _rescue_ environment :
chroot

--
Alastair McKinstry <mckinstry@computer.org>
GPG Key fingerprint = 9E64 E714 8E08 81F9 F3DC  1020 FA8E 3790 9051 38F4

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that
will reach to himself.

- --Thomas Paine